Criss-Cross intervals mimic the power demands* of road and mountain bike races. In this training tip, we’ll describe the how, what, where, and why of criss cross intervals and give you some example workouts plus a 4 week interval progression to follow and a link to our sweet spot part 3 training plan that incorporates criss cross intervals.
*surges in the peloton, steeper pitches up climbs, switchbacks, and technical singletrack
Criss-Cross intervals are structured tempo intervals with a “cross” up to harder intensities for 60-180 seconds, every 2-5 minutes during the tempo interval. After the "cross" the athlete returns to tempo wattage until the next "cross." Criss Crosses are what we call variable power workouts that have 2 benefits:
- specificity of real world conditions
- Help the time pass quicker during indoor training sessions!
Here are our four example Criss-Cross workouts, progressively getting more and more difficult, up to the 'diabolical' criss cross:
Criss-Cross, Tempo > Sweet Spot: 3 x 10 minutes ON 10 minutes OFF with a 1 minute "cross" at 4 & 9 minutes
As the athlete and training progress, one can increase both the length of the interval and the intensity of the "cross" from Sweet Spot to Threshold > VO2 > Zone 6/Anaerobic. Here's the same 3 x 10 Criss-Cross interval workout as above except the "cross" is now at FTP watts:
Criss-Cross, Tempo > Threshold: 3 x 10 minutes ON 10 minutes OFF with a 1 minute "cross" at 4 & 9 minutes
Criss-Cross, Tempo > VO2: 3 x 10 minutes ON 10 minutes OFF with a 1 minute "cross" at 4 & 9 minutes
Criss- Cross, Tempo > Zone 6/Anaerobic: 3 x 10 minutes ON 10 minutes OFF with a 1 minute "cross" at 4 & 9 minutes
I like to take athletes through the above Criss-Cross workouts once a week as they progress and are finishing up their base and CTL build. The intensity from the "crosses" is just enough to bridge the gap from base training to full on, full gas high intensity interval training. Criss-Cross intervals are also great for:
- bridging the gap from base training to high intensity interval training (the crosses)
- generating larger TSS's than traditional Sweet Spot and Tempo advance aerobic endurance training, and thus raise CTL even higher
- help the time pass quicker during indoor training sessions!
Additionally, Criss-Cross workouts may be 'enhanced' by increasing the length of the "criss" interval, number and intensities of the "crosses. For example, progressing to a sweet spot interval that crosses up into Zone 5 and even Zone 6. There are so many possibilities I encourage you to customize & diversify your Criss-Cross intervals.
The most diabolical Criss-Cross Interval workout I've ever prescribed is the following:
Threshold > Zone 6, 3 x 15 with three 1 minute "crosses" in Zone 6 at minute 4, 9 and 14 minutes. Note how the 3rd "cross" of each interval is full gas (150% of FTP!) to mimic a race winning move.
Copyright © 2020 FasCat Coaching - all rights reserved.
Join our *FREE* Athlete Forum to nerd out with FasCat coaches and athletes about your FTP, race data, power based training, or anything related to going fast on the bike!
To talk with a FasCat Coach about Criss-Cross intervals for your training and racing, please fill out a New Athlete Questionnaire to set up a complimentary coaching consultation.
Additionally nearly all of our road and mountain bike $49 training plans have criss cross intervals designed in an easy to follow weekly training calendar.
Indoor Workout Motivation
Foundation : 3 Weeks
- Perfect for all cyclists beginning off season training
- Raise your CTL and the all-important muscle tension intervals
Phil Gaimon's FONDO
- Complete similar workouts to what Phil does to prepare for all his KOM's
- Sweet Spot training, threshold intervals, and some anaerobic work
Phil Gaimon's Strava PR Plan
- Perfect Plan for Those with Less Training Time, starts at 15 minutes per day
- VO2's, 1 minuters, Tabatas, threshold, suprathreshold, and even Sweet Spot
Road Race In-Season
- Weekend racing and group rides with weekday training and recovery
- anaerobic efforts like criss cross, Over/Unders Sweet Spot, Threshold
Road Racing Intervals
- Increase your functional and race-specific power output
- Includes Sweet Spot, VO2, Anaerobic, Threshold