Black Bean Burgers: Winning in the Kitchen Recipe
Recently, we posted on our instagram page a poll asking our athletes what recipe they were interested in seeing next. They chose black bean burgers, so here they are! These are very versatile and can be made gluten and dairy free. Want to change up the flavor? throw in BBQ sauce instead of the ketchup, use a different kind of cheese, add in some sriracha... the possibilities are endless!
Black Bean Burgers
Makes 6-8 Burgers; Takes ~45 minutes to prepareThe Ingredients
- 1 cans black beans, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 egg (or 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1/2 small onion (about 1/2 cup chopped)
- 1/2 small bell pepper (about 1/4 cup chopped)
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 gloves garlic, minced*
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder (can sub taco seasoning)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp spice of choice **
- 1/4 tsp salt (use 1/2 tsp if using no salt added black beans)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp ketchup (can sub BBQ, sriracha, chili garlic sauce, etc.)
- 2/3 cup* breadcrumbs or flour (use oat flour if GF)
- Add extra if mixture is too wet
- 1/2 cup feta or cojita cheese (Can sub walnuts for vegan option)
**This is one of my favorite spice blends. You can find it at Trader Joe's. If you don't have this, use whatever spices you like. Taco seasoning works great!
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (can place these directly onto a greased baking sheet too).
- Open the beans, drain and place in a strainer. Rinse with water and then place them on a plate and pat them dry to remove excess moisture.
- Finely chop the bell pepper, onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- In a food processor or blender, throw in half of the beans, egg (or flax egg), all the spices, salt, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, minced garlic and the onion. Pulse until only a few chunks remain.
- Put the mixture into a large bowl. Add in the shredded carrots, remainder of the beans, bell pepper, breadcrumbs/flour and the cheese. Mix well. The mixture will be slightly sticky. That is okay! If it is too wet to form into patties though, add in 2-4 tbsp more flour.
- Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop out the mixture and form into patties and place on the baking sheet.
- Place in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 16-18 minutes.
- Remove and flip and then bake another 5-8 minutes or until firm, but not dry.
- Allow to cool and then serve or store for later.
The burgers can be be stored in a "killer set of Tupperware" in the fridge for 5 days or can be frozen for up to 2 months, making them a great recipe for #MealPrepMonday!
160 Calories, 3g Fat, 21g Carbs, 6g Fiber, 8g of Protein
These burgers also provide 10% of your daily iron and 37% of your daily vitamin C! Yay beans!
COPYRIGHT © 2021 FASCAT COACHING - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Foundation : 3 Weeks
- Perfect for all cyclists beginning off season training
- Raise your CTL and the all-important muscle tension intervals
Phil Gaimon's FONDO
- Complete similar workouts to what Phil does to prepare for all his KOM's
- Sweet Spot training, threshold intervals, and some anaerobic work