Sweet Spot Part 1
Designed by Coach Frank
What you get:
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed*
- FREE 30 Day Premium TrainingPeaks Account
- Mobile App (iOS and Droid)
- Lifetime access
- Daily Email Workout Reminders
- GPS, Heart Rate and Power Data Uploads
- Email Support
- Yoga Routines with Video
- Race Specific Power and Heart Rate Workouts
- Advanced Aerobic Endurance Training
- Strength & Conditioning Routines with Video
Six Week Sweet Spot Training Plan for advanced aerobic endurance training.
With this plan you can “sweet spot up the whazoo” and raise your threshold power output! This periodized plan will have you progressing your riding time to increase your Chronic Training Load (CTL) 40-60%. You’ll start with a Field Test will set your training zones, especially sweet spot! A second test will measure your improvement after following the plan! Athletes can expect to increase their FTP by 5 – 20%! You’ll find the FasCat Wattage and Heart Rate Zones Sheet that in this plan that has the all important Sweet Spot Training Zone!
Additionally, this sweet spot training plan includes all the “marginal gains” details to get even faster: Recovery Techniques, Rest Days, Yoga, Foundations, and best of all, Strength and Conditioning – all you need is a physical therapy style rubber band and MOTIVATION! There are instructional videos in the plan for you to follow along at home. You’ll perform structured Sweet Spot and Tempo intervals mid-week and have the option to join group rides on the weekends (where we coach you how to sweet spot on the group ride). There’s also recommendations for riding longer/shorter for flexibility so you can stay on track when life throws a curve ball.
Questions about the Six Weeks to the Sweet Spot or using this training plan? See our FAQ below or email/call: email@example.com or 720.406.7444
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed: if you are unsatisfied with the plan, your performance, anything, we will refund your plan at anytime. Example Workout:
Workout #1: Bike
Get Ready – it is a 110% mental and physical effort. You can do it, but the best tests are from athletes who have prepared mentally by getting psyched!
Workout #3: Strength
Follow this routine: http://youtu.be/4BOTvaRaDjI – Doesn’t take a lot of time, but is challenging and works. The focus is all on the posterior chain (read back, glutes, hamstrings). – This will make you a better handler on the bike, better climber, and help cut out lower back pain. These are the muscle groups that cyclists often ignore, and pay the penalty for. – Do some foam rolling and stretching after the foundation routine.
Workout #4: Bike
Welcome! – You will need to know your FTP [Power and/or Heart Rate] to get the most out of this plan. – Thus we are starting with a 20 minute Field Test to Determine your Current Threshold Power – Save the FasCat Zone Sheet to know all your Zones for the next 6 weeks and beyond. – Good luck and as always please let me know if you have any Q’s @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Workout #5: Bike
Planned Time: 1:00:00
20 Min Threshold Effort up a climb or on an uninterrupted stretch of flat road to determine training zones – For more info: https://www.fascatcoaching.com/tips/a-20-minute-power-based-field-test/ – http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/02/coaches-panel/coach-frank-overton-tells-what-to-do-with-your-new-power-meter_87556 – Find an uninterrupted stretch of road, free from stop signs/lights or longer descents. This needs to be a repeatable effort as you may test throughout the season. – Your goal is to put out the most power you can over 20 minutes, but also to be smooth & consistent as you perform the effort. Don’t blow up in the first few minutes! Ask me for wattage pacing guidelines.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Am I a Basic, Intermediate or Advanced Rider?
- Basic plans are for athletes with 4-8 hours per week to ride, a cat 4-5 racer and or a 50+ masters racer.
- Intermediate plans are for athletes with 8-12 hours per week to ride, cat 3 racers or 40+ masters.
- Advanced plans are for athletes with 12+ hours per week to train, cat 1-2 or pro racer as well a those who are 30-40 and Master Elite.
- What if I have to ride the trainer indoors?
For rides over an hour, we recommend cutting the ride time by about 30% because you aren't coasting or stopping. Be sure to get any structured interval work completed within that time!
- Should I add 'post activity' comments in TrainingPeaks when I upload my data?
Yes! While you won't have a coach monitoring your comments and file data, adding notes to your workout is always helpful so you can go back and see what was up that day when you slayed a particular effort! It doubles as a training diary!
- Will a coach be monitoring my workouts in TrainingPeaks?
No. If you would like a coach to create, monitor, customize, adjust or talk with about your training, hire one of our coaches!
- What if I don't have a M-F, 9-5 kind of work schedule?
You can move the workouts around yourself in TrainingPeaks and/or schedule a training plan consultation to talk with a coach about customizing the purchased plan for your schedule.
- How do I apply the plan I purchased in my existing TrainingPeaks account?
We've got a step-by-step guide for applying your plan here.
- Can I use these workouts with my smart trainer (Wahoo, CycleOps, Computrainer, etc.)?
Yes! You can use software like TrainerRoad or Zwift to program & ride the prescribed efforts for each workout. Check with your trainer's manufacturer for compatible software.
- I don't have a powermeter. Can I use my heart rate monitor with this training plan?
Yes! While power is the gold standard for training, we've included a FasCat Training Zones sheet where you can enter your Threshold Heart Rate to calculate your heart rate training zones. This allows you to ride the intervals at the proper efforts!
- If I miss a workout, can I adjust my training calendar in TrainingPeaks?
Sure! Simply left click the workout, then drag 'n drop it into the day you want to move it to.
- Do these plans include recovery days?
All of our training plans are periodized and include rest days and a regeneration week. Because you don't get faster in training, you get faster in recovery!
- What should I do when my plan ends?
We've designed our plans to coordinate with different times of the year and different phases of training. We'll send you a reminder when your plan is nearing the end of 6 weeks with suggestions on where to go next so you are still getting stronger and faster on the bike!