Five Things I Wish I Knew When I Was a Pro
FasCat Coach Christian Parrett raced as a professional for seven years, and has since coached professionally since retiring from racing. He trained hard and raced well, but after several years of coaching professionally, researching physiology, and learning through athletes he works with, he's learned even more. If he could go back in time, here is what he would tell his younger self.
1. Pay attention to marginal gains. Don't give away time by not educating yourself on gear choices, especially the relatively easy and cheap things you can do to make a difference.
2. Pay attend to nutrition, specifically during racing and hard training. In short, eat more! Shoot for 80-100 grams of carbohydrates per hour if riding hard.
3. Weight training can help and hinder. Learn the differences.
4. Find a good coach and/or training plan you believe in, and stick with it. Jumping around various plans and coaches (including self coaching) is not effective.
5. Listen to your body. Fatigue and sickness should be heeded. Now, of course, we also have great tools like wearables to get objective feedback on how our body is doing.
COPYRIGHT © 2023 FASCAT COACHING - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Join our Optimize where Coaching is included, the training plans are unlimited and there's a 14 day trial to see for yourself! Message us what you are training for and we'll reply with the recommended plan(s)! FTP, race data, power-based training, or anything related to going fast on the bike is all fair game!
Foundation : 3 Weeks
- Perfect for all cyclists beginning off season training
- Raise your CTL and the all-important muscle tension intervals