European road racing vs US gravel racing: Coach Ricky's experience
We're all fans of European road racing, but very few of us have done it. And gravel racing here in America continues to explode, with many of us getting in on the fun. How do the two compare?
Coach Ricky Arnopol has done both, and on this podcast he chats with Ben Delaney about his experience racing in Europe on the roads and cobbles with Project Echelon and talks about his first taste of gravel racing at the recent SBT GRVL.
Related: Winning SBT GRVL Blue power analysis
Ricky and Ben compare and contrast European road racing and American gravel racing in terms of what the numbers say — TSS, KJs, power profiles — as well as the tactics, the stress, and the fun.
Which do you think is harder? Tune in to find out!
Copyright © 2022 FasCat Coaching - all rights reserved.
Join our *FREE* Athlete Forum to nerd out with FasCat coaches and athletes about your FTP, race data, power based training, or anything related to going fast on the bike.
5.8 w/kg for 50 minutes! Gaimon wins Mt Washington
The Perfect Cyclocross Race Start
Foundation : 3 Weeks
- Perfect for all cyclists beginning off season training
- Raise your CTL and the all-important muscle tension intervals
Phil Gaimon's FONDO
- Complete similar workouts to what Phil does to prepare for all his KOM's
- Sweet Spot training, threshold intervals, and some anaerobic work
Phil Gaimon's Strava PR Plan
- Perfect Plan for Those with Less Training Time, starts at 15 minutes per day
- VO2's, 1 minuters, Tabatas, threshold, suprathreshold, and even Sweet Spot
Road Race In-Season
- Weekend racing and group rides with weekday training and recovery
- anaerobic efforts like criss cross, Over/Unders Sweet Spot, Threshold
Road Racing Intervals
- Increase your functional and race-specific power output
- Includes Sweet Spot, VO2, Anaerobic, Threshold